6/10/06

Day 1 - New Haven to NYC

Apologies for the lack of pictures in this post. They will come soon.

TRIP: 4,458 Calories, 75.2 miles --> 522 miles per gallon
Day 1 - 4,458 Calories, 75.2 miles --> 522 miles per gallon

The real inaugural day of the ride! Lucy sent me off from New Haven at noon, and I began the journey down to Manhattan. After some adjustments to the baggage net at the first few stoplights, I was sailing down Route 1.

Here is a typical view of what I saw all day. Its taken in Connecticut (Photos to be added later)


Stamford was the most ghetto city ever, and at one point I rode alongside a golden focus which had a fully smashed windshield, no side windows, and four flat tires. They had the hazard lights on and were bumping down the road at 10mph.

I also saw a dealership in Connecticut selling the least fuel efficient cars they could think up- Phantoms, Flying Spurs, and this quad turbo, 16-cylinder Bugatti Veyron.

A tenth of a gallon! A picture of the moment when I had burned 0.1 gallons, or 3,100 calories. While fumbling to put the camera back in my pocket, a lady turned across my path, and I crashed into her Lexus. I needed to re-aim my front wheel afterwards.

This Bronx White Castle on Boston Park road is where I stopped to figure out the route into NYC. I ended up taking Fordham all the way west, then going south on the Major Deegan Expressway, (I thought there was going to be a bike route alongside it) The road surface was perfect and sloped gently downhill. The stop and go traffic was not at all intimidating, and it turned out to be the most relaxing section of the whole ride (it would count as HWY miles per gallon!). I was finally waved off by a sheriff who demanded to see ID and told me to exit the highway immediately and take the Washington Bridge.

After that, it was just a shot down the bike route on St. Nicholas avenue (it's a sign!) to the top of Central Park and on to Sarah Wilson's apt.

At night, I went to a comedy club with Merritt.

My legs felt great right after the ride, although they are beginning to feel a little achy the morning after. The bike has performed well, although a corncob freewheel means that I'm out of the saddle on anything more than a gentle climb. My heart rate soars to 160, and my legs wear out. Also, there is a weird speed wobble in the bike. I meant to check for a crack in the frame or a damaged lug. I think the wobble is from a slight oscillation of the bag strapped onto the rack.

Honestly, gas mileage was a bit of a disappointment. A slight headwind for most of the ride, as well as a ton of stoplights scuppured any chance of a 700+ mpg day. I will have to do some research on more flowing routes for upcoming days, but I fear that the cities though which I have chosen to ride will keep me from country roads. However, I don't think anybody is going to complain about 500+ miles per gallon while toting 20 lbs of gear. I have heard that heart rates drift up during the course of a workout, which would suggest that I'm burning more calories per mile at a given speed later in the day than I am early in the day. Does anybody know?

I have heard that heart rates drift up during the course of a workout, which would suggest that I'm burning more calories per mile at a given speed later in the day than I am early in the day. Does anybody know?

No comments: